Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
J K Rowling

Fantasy and science fiction

‘Harry Potter – you are a wizard.’  Harry Potter is just an ordinary boy, living with his ‘muggle’ auntie and uncle until he gets taken away by a half giant to a school called Hogwarts.   Follow a year with Harry in friendships, happiness and, most of all, bravery.

Mia Wickremasinghe, 6CC (2016)

4.6

131 comments on “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone

I read this book when I was about 8 years old and I really enjoyed it

2. nludewick says:

This is my favourite book series because I love how you can escape into your own world and really pretend you can be magic if you believe you can be. I think J.K Rowling is a wonderful writer and i love the films too.

3. Nathan Callender says:

I like this book especially the characters in it also it is a good book to read✌️

4. obates says:

I love this book!!!!!!!!!!!!! It’s so entertaining I begged my mum to read it to me every night. After that I read it over and over again I think 6 times! I command you to read it.

5. jtoomeyoneill says:

This book was incredible!!!!!!!!!

6. kjohnsonagley says:

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!It is an incrediball story of a boy how relises that he is a wizard and has to go to hogwarts . But how will he feel when he relizes that he is the only one how can defeat “He who must not be named”.

7. fallen says:

This book is very fun because it’s adventurous.

8. rboyd says:

I really like this book because its about wizards and a little bit of mystery and bravery.He lives with his horrible aunt petunia and uncle vernon before going to hogwarts

9. slee2 says:

Harry Potter is one of my favourite BOOKS because IT is so funny and adventurous .

10. hwunsche says:

This book is adventurous, funny and altogether really good.

11. fsmith says:

This is a very good book because it has so many awesome adventures with awesome people and monsters in the adventures. It lets you enter the wonderful world of Harry Potter.

12. jallen says:

This book is one of the best books I have ever read because it has lots of description.

13. fives says:

Harry Potter and the philosopher’s stone is one of my favourite books. It is a great book about”a boy named Harry who was destined to be a star, his parents were killed by Voldemort who gave him a lightning scar!”

14. etrinder says:

I love the Harry Potter series because it really improves my vocabulary and it just has an amazing story to it.It’s impossible to put down and braces you so much it is as if a hand is reaching out of the book and holding you!The way J.K Rowling sets the whole thing out is creative,dramatic and just generally amazing.

15. fwojnarowski says:

Two parents have a child called harry potter. An enemy of harry potters parents called Voldemort killed harry potter’s parents. Now he lives with his aunty and uncle but not that long read on this amazing story to find out what will happen next…

16. lalcraft says:

THIS BOOK IS SO SAD at the start harry’s mother and father get attacked by you know who [voldemort] harry gets hit but doesn’t die instead he gets a lightning scar his mother and father die……….

17. egreenslade2 says:

Harry Potter is a wizard! The Philosopher’s Stone has been hidden at Hogwarts. Voldemort is on the prowl. The Stone has special powers to keep you alive forever. Harry must get it before Voldemort! A book of action, adventure,magic and relationship. The other books are amazing. The end is the best bit! Commented by Eddie.

18. jsnowdon says:

what a good book!!!! I my self am in the middle of this book and I really love the way harry & ron meet and it was funny when ron gave malfroy a black eye!!!

19. fkirkwood says:

A hilarious and qiete a grousm but they brillent books!

20. sstrong says:

This book was a the best book ever …when I was six.yes it still is a good book for all ages the first of the now eight Harry Potter books. It is a bit of an introduction to the even more amazingness of the next ones to come. The first book is the-what-you-need-to-know about Harry’s background what happened to him without reading it but skipping it, could cause extreme confusion for the next few books. The thing is all the Harry Potter books just get better and better through the series so you’d think it would be not very good but no it starts amazing and ends even better

21. lhodge says:

its good and a bit scary i find it a super cool book.

22. rdraper says:

AMAZING:D:D:D:D:D

23. rmarujo says:

a good book cool and a very exciting 😀 😉 :>

24. hheyhoetedstone says:

i will read this book when i am 11 so i can get a grip of the story,i am looking forwould to it.

25. cachermann says:

After reading this book I started to really enjoy Harry Potter and now reading the 3rd book,prisoner of azkaban. I can’t believe how J.K Rowling came up with 8 amazing books.Harry Potter is one of my favourite books ‘go go gryfindor

26. lrowden says:

harry is an ordinary boy who lives with his aunt and uncle then a half giant comes in and sends him to hogwarts.

27. rdraper says:

harry potter is a epic book , my best character is fluffy.

28. lgrillorodriguez says:

If you like magic then harry potter is the book for you

29. rhirt says:

I love this book . I like it because J.K.Rowling has used her imagination to create a magical world and invented lots of new creatures . I also like it because it uses lots of team work between Ron,Hermione and Harry they also don’t get everything right. The story has some scary bits,some funny bits and loads of exciting parts.

30. oridgeway says:

I enjoyed this book very much. Harry Potter is a young boy who lives with his Muggle Aunt, Uncle and cousin. They treat him really badly. Then he gets to go to Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry. Here he meets Ron and Hermione. They also have an enemy called Draco Malfoy. I would encourage you to read the book to find out what happens. I am now reading The Chamber of Secrets and have just met Dobby…

I enjoyed the book very much, and also the characters, but not so much the plot.

32. frowden says:

So magical!!!!?A wonderful story!!!!??

33. frowden says:

So magical!!!!my favourite chapter is 9 1/3!!!!

34. ebrown says:

In this book it tells the story of a young boy going into secondary school who is being taken care of by his uncle and auntie. As his eleventh birthday approaches, Harry finds out his parents were wizards and that he is destined to go to a school for wizards and witches. Hogwarts. It is a great book following the story of three young wizards (and witch)- Harry, Hermione and Ron.

35. wsimwogerere says:

It is a good book but it is not my sort of story because I don’t like the length.

36. gszmidt says:

I love this book because it’s so fun and with so much fighting.

37. edakouri says:

It’s a very good book to read

38. jdonaldson says:

I love this book because it is full of wonders.Harry potter also plays qwidich were he has to catch this golden ball.
    He also has a worst enmy.

39. otoombs says:

I love this book because harry potter defeats voldermort with the philosopher stone.Also at the start hagrid tells harry potter that he’s a wizzerd at first harry duss not bileve him but then he duss .

40. glincoln says:

Harry potter- is about a boy that has muggle parents. his school is called Hogwarts .his enemy is draco malfoy and lord voldemort . professor Snape hides the stone. his friends are ronald wesly and hermiony granger. this is a realy brave boy who teacher friend is hagrid .

41. redwards says:

Harry potter -is a regular boy who finds out that he is a wizard from a huge giant that busts through his door. Will he be able to defeat the dark lord voldemort.

42. ofurlong says:

Harry Potter is a good book because ciroll has volldmots head

43. mjohnson says:

I really liked this book.It was a mix of happy,cool and weird.It is weird because on page 132 he finds a mirror that shows you things you want or things you lost.For example,when Harry looked into the mirror he saw his Parents.I recommend you read this book.

44. hnkwocha says:

I really like this book because it’s very creative and it got lots of interesting parts in it.

45. nsampson says:

Although this book is absolutely amazing, it is probably one of the worst in the series. That is how good the series is. My favourite bit is when Neville gets body binded. My favourite book is the Goblet of Fire.

I think this book is dramatic and moving there are a lot things that happen in it that are unexpected but I still recommend it to anyone.

47. rshamash says:

I found this book amazing and full of new epic magic. I found this the best book in the seven book series. If you like magic, drama and supernatural events, this is the book for you.

48. ewhitelaw says:

I love the Harry Potter books and started reading then age 6 voldermort is cool and the plot is really good/excited

49. ebarrett says:

I loved this book and I recommend it to anyone who can read, talk and walk. If you have read this one I will now tell you that the series is amazing. My favourite one so far is ‘Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.’ Now I am at the Half Blood Prince (number 6) and I am really enjoying them.

I really enjoyed this book. It’s a hard one to review but I’ll try. My favourite part in this book was when Professor Dumbledore gave ten points to Neville. My favourite book in the series was – and still is – Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Wait. That wasn’t so hard after all actually!