Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
J K Rowling

Fantasy and science fiction

‘Harry Potter – you are a wizard.’  Harry Potter is just an ordinary boy, living with his ‘muggle’ auntie and uncle until he gets taken away by a half giant to a school called Hogwarts.   Follow a year with Harry in friendships, happiness and, most of all, bravery.

Mia Wickremasinghe, 6CC (2016)

4.6

131 comments on “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone

1. kclarke says:

Review contains spoilers {not last paragraph}
    I think Harry Potter is an exciting series about a boy destined to save the wizarding world. In these books Harry will learn the true power of friendship, love and trust. I like all the books but I think my favourite is ‘Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows‘ because it’s the final showdown between Harry and Lord Voldermort. As well as this, it is the book in which Harry finally discovers that he is a Horcrux.
    I also like book 5, ‘Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix’. It is crucial to the build up {which is the whole series} to book 7, due to Sirius’s death which angers Harry making him hate Voldermort even more and triggers a series of events and eventually brings Voldermort to his doom. It also makes Harry feel incredibly lonely. This helps the sense of isolation in the sixth book and therefore gives a massive effect to Dumbledore’s death.
    I highly recommend the Harry Potter series. It will be a wonderful addition to your bookshelf! Make sure you leave a comment on the website after to tell us if you enjoyed the book and convince others of your opinion. Remember to read them in the correct order {only on the first run through}.Leave a comment!

1. rboamah says:

Great review, Katla. You make me want to read the whole series!

2. aimam says:

I love the Harry Potter series beacause there magic and a platform called nine and three quarters and there,s ghost a great hall and Quidditch lessons with there brooms

3. mchangbrown says:

I love this book my favourite part was when Harry walks through the wall to 9 3/4.??

4. Daniel Nyima Nguo says:

I have not finished this book but I have really enjoyed it so far because it has been very funny so I would rate it a 4/5

5. jmitchell says:

Full of mysteries and lot of untold stories. I’m so pleased that the book was published and
    written .Surprises ,laughs .

6. Zarak Khan says:

It is really amazing and is interesting to read . It’s about a boy who is a wizard.

7. Ms Mason says:

Harry Potter is an ordinary boy living with his unloving aunt, uncle and cousin, until a giant called Hagrid bursts into his life and tells him he’s a wizard. Harry then goes to wizarding school where he gets into all sorts of trouble and adventures with his friends. I would thoroughly recommend this book!

8. rboamah says:

Harry Potter is a boy whose parents sadly died because Voldemort had murdered them. Harry is then sent to live with the Dudleys and is brought up by his cruel Aunt and Uncle. Unfortunately, life with a big and irritating cousin isn’t easy…

9. Otto Meyric Rothstein says:

I am now on the 4 book and I am really enjoying them.

10. Rafferty KNAPP says:

I liked Harry Potter and the philosophers stone because I like wizards and a book about a wizard school sounds pretty Cool so I read it and now I’m on the 7 book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I LOVED IT SO MUCH ????????????????????????

1. jsnowdon says:

I think you are so right there my friend

11. cwilloughby says:

I like this book because it’s takes you to a magical place, above the clouds. Before he hears that he can go to Hogwarts he lived with his horrible aunt and uncle .His mum and dad died because of the one who shall not be named.Also known as Voldemort.

12. Otto Meyric Rothstein says:

I used to not want to read or watch the book or film but when I read the book it was pretty good.

13. mpatten says:

Harry Potter is an ordinary boy who is lives with his cruel aunt and uncle when he finds out that he is a wizard And has a place at Hogwarts school !follow harry on a journey of friendship ,magic and adventure! I love this book and think that it’s a great read for all children!!

14. jallen says:

This book is is very enjoyable because it is all about wizards and witches going to a school called Hogwarts and it is a school of witch crafted and wizardry.In this book there is a character called Harry Potter and his parents died from Lord Voldemort!

15. imeager says:

Harry Potter is one of my favourite people in the whole world

16. ecoyle says:

Harry Potter is one of my favourite books because it is magical and a really good book to read. ??????

17. llincoln says:

Harry Potter is one of the best books I’ve ever read. When I was younger I liked it so much I read it loads of times.It is a magical adventure which makes you think that everything has a possibility.

18. iamosu says:

Harry Potter is a odinary boy who lives with his cruel aunty and uncle when he finds out that he gets a place at hog warts. Fantastic book

19. mrothwellstopps says:

I love Harry Potters book because the books are so interesting.
    It is about a boy who thinks he is a ordinary boy. He isn’t ……………

20. sheckscher says:

Harry Potter thought he was just an ordinary boy living with his selfish aunt, uncle and cousin. Little did he know that one letter from a school he hadn’t heard of, in a world he didn’t even know existed, would make him one of the most recognised people in their world! Join Harry and his friends for a year of loyalty, adventure and courage.

21. kdegabriele says:

I love this book it is full of magical adventures

22. egeach says:

Harry Potter lives with his selfish uncle,aunt and cousin in one of the most boring houses in Surry one day everything changes. After getting strange letters from a school Harry has never even heard from moving into a light house and a half giant called Hagrid explaining that Harry is a wizard . Soon after Harry’s made friends and a fair few enemy’s .

23. stsugitavieira says:

Harry Potter has been given powers to go to “Hoggwarts” , he makes 2 friends called ……

FIND THAT OUT FOR YOURSELF!!

He has an arch enemy , one of the teachers!! :Proffeser Snape,but who helps him against Snape ?????????????

24. aharper says:

I enjoyed this book because at one point it’s a mystery and before you know it you’re confused. I think this is the best of all of the Harry Potter books. There may have been some bits I didn’t like but the rest of it is great. But when I watched the films it wasn’t how I imagined it.

25. wmortensen says:

Harry thinks that he is an ordinary little boy. But he is a wizard. I like the book because it is full off magic.

26. gbrown2 says:

It is a really bad book because it is too long ????????????⚔️????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

1. astrigo says:

Actually I think this book is very good and the size makes it better.

27. lbailie says:

Harry Potter is one of my favourite books of all time and l really recament it to all 7s and above and possibly 6

Everyone has heard of Harry Potter. Well nearly everyone. The majority of the people who have read this love it and I know why. The whole book is full of magic and spells . Everyone from around 8 or even younger to adults can enjoy this .

29. tbarkar says:

I think Harry Potter is an amazing wizard and his friends are reliable and Harry never gives up. Hagrid is a jolly old man and he is my favourite of all the teachers. J K Rowling is fantastic because she wrote this book when she was very poor. My best bits of the book are the Quidditch matches and when Harry caught the snitch I felt so excited. When you are reading the book you feel like you are there at Hogwarts with Harry and his friends.

30. vmendoza says:

I love this book it is full of magical adventures

31. hshi says:

I think this is the best book ever!
    First of all it is a book about magic.
    Secend of all it is about wizards and wiches.

32. wdixonhitchcock says:

he is verry verry amazing

33. wdixonhitchcock says:

he is verry verry cool

34. wdixonhitchcock says:

he is a magic boy

35. wdixonhitchcock says:

he is a magic man

36. iwhitelaw says:

I like harry potter because it is magic and exciting and my favrot carictor is GINNY and Hermione.

37. iwhitelaw says:

i like this book because it is very magic and exiting and my favarot caricta is ginny but i no that she dus not go to hogworts in the first book but i stil no her name because i have

38. teldridge says:

harry he fis voodamot i hav a bruv he hasol the bookx i smum tim red the m

39. shubbard says:

the book is funny ………… BUT SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!

40. achesterman says:

I like it because its majick.

41. achesterman says:

I like Harry because he dus majik.

42. rmundle says:

I think this book is scary .

43. esampson says:

Harry thought he was an ordinary boy whose parents got killed in a car crash. He lived with his auntie and uncle who were muggles (not magical). One day professor Mcgonnagal took Harry to Hogwarts a school for wizards and witches.

44. tcarpenter says:

Cool book best book best author best everything if you haven’t read it yet read it!

I have to say I think this is the most boring Harry Potter related book ever made

46. pfigueroasheldon says:

Harry Potter is about a boy named Harry who lives with his “muggle” auntie and uncle but one day a half giant named Hagrid picks Harry up and takes him to Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry…
    Explore the books from 1 to 7.

1. hshi says:

There are more than 7 books

47. hbentham says:

Harry Potter is an young boy living his ordinary life. When one day a very tall and peculiar man comes in and tells him that he is a wizard and is invited to a special school for wizard and witches school but can he even survive a day at being a wizard!

48. fmckenzieoneill says:

a incredible movie and even better book it’s strange reading and watching them right now1

We have a poster of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone on our wall at home that was given to us by a publisher of children’s books. He told us that J K Rowling had given him a copy of the book and asked if his firm would be interested in publishing it. He’d read the book and told J K Rowling that he thought the boy wizard was a good idea – somebody would probably be interested he said – but that it wasn’t for them. The fool! If you enjoy Harry Potter you might try Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones. A young orphaned boy with awful relatives is taken to the castle of the great and mysterious magician Chrestomanci and there discovers that he himself is a powerful enchanter with nine lives… My favourite Harry Potter book, by the way, is The Prisoner of Azkhaban.

50. nbentham says:

I really loved reading this book because it is really interesting fun and adventurous.The characters are really creative and interesting too.This book is full of magic and I recommend this that you read it.

1. hshi says: