The Giant Jam Sandwich
Janet Burroway, John Vernon Lord

Picture books

I love this book more than a wasp loves jam!

Cyrus Quraishi Nash, 6ND (2016)

4.4

81 comments on “The Giant Jam Sandwich

1. Frances Hartland says:

I found this book funny. I liked it when the wasps got stuck, because they sting people. The tractor with the propeller was funny because it looked like a helicopter.

2. ablackburncave says:

I like this book because it inspires me because its like a fairytale and in the end the good guys won

3. dbaribumpe says:

I Like this book because it,s really interesting when the bee’s get trapt.♥♥♥

4. Na-Shawn Williams says:

I liked this book because I liked when the wasps got stuck.

5. aroberts says:

My best bit was when the wasps got stuck in the sandwich, but three did get away.

6. eroberts says:

In Itching Down (a very funny name for a town), the wasps must have been so annoying. Imagine if you were in that town? What would you do? I like this book because it is very funny. My favourite bit is when the second slice of bread came down. And I loved the picture where you could see the wasps in the splat.

7. swood says:

I think this is a great book!

8. jostainton says:

Nursery read this book, we enjoyed when the 4 million wasps flew into town. We all thought a giant jam sandwich sounded delicious but that we were glad it got rid of the wasps.

Question to everyone in nursery: Do you mean that the giant jam sandwich sounded delicious with 4 million wasps in it? Mr Milne

9. cwitchell says:

I love this book and I love jam sandwiches but I don’t like wasps.

10. psolis says:

I really enjoyed this book I found it funny and smart the way they made a giant jam sandwich to get rid the wasps.

Ms Atkins read us this book and it was very clever and funny. Not the type of book that I would usually read as I am in year 6 but it is a great book for ks1. A very very clever way to get rid of wasps. Maybe not the most sufficient way but definitely makes a good read

12. astrigo says:

I love this book because of the amazing illustrations. I also love the story with the bees and the chef

This is such a good book miss Atkins read the book to us in assembly I think it’s really good because they have such a clever way to get rid of the wasps!!!!!

14. mrothwellstopps says:

I really like this book . my favourite bit is when the wasps get trapped in the giant jam sandwich

15. glivia says:

I like the bit when the wasps get traped .
    Also i really how it rhimes.

16. beliza says:

I like it because the wasps get trapped. I think it’s good that they come up with a clever plan to catch them

17. rwilfred says:

“it was very good. I like it when then make the bread and they caught the wasps. I really enjoyed it”

18. djaiden says:

I loved this book. We read it in class and I wanted to share it with Mum and Dad. The best bit was when the wasps got stuck in the jam sandwich. My favorite jam is Raspberry!

19. fcaelan says:

I like the part where they splodge on the jam and butter. I would not like all those wasps coming to where I live.

20. dmolly says:

This story is so good. It made me laugh my socks off!

21. rhenry says:

I like when the jam goes onto the first bit of bread because I love jam.

22. krian says:

I liked everything about this story

23. katygriffiths says:

RKG read this book as a class. Here are some of our comments.
    Iris – It was nice when all the wasps got trapped in the sandwich.
    Anandi – I liked when they just opened it up and didn’t put the top bread on and they got trapped but 3 ran away.
    Isolde – I liked it when the jam got tipped onto the bottom bit of bread.
    Joey – I liked the strawberry jam.
    Keyon’dre – I like the crust.
    Trayvon – I liked it when they got trapped.

I love this book because it’s very funny and it’s a good idea in case wasps come

25. cwitchell says:

I love this book. Ms Atkins read it to us in assembly for world book day and it was full of laughter .
    I do not like wasps!

26. zbates says:

I like it but it would be better if it had more jam and less butter.

27. efuller says:

This book is full with enthusiasm and hours of laughter.I absolutely love it and I think that anyone should read it.

28. ahooper says:

This book is great,my granny read it to me when i was younger and since then i have always loved it recommended for any ages!

29. achesterman says:

We red the book in 1kg.

30. tbarkar says:

I love the picture of them making the huge loaf of bread in a big barn. It makes me feel very hungry for a jam sandwich! I have been reading this book since I was 2 years old and I still ask for a sandwich when we read it. It is a clever plan to trap the 4 million wasps. I think the farmer looks very happy.

31. iwhitelaw says:

I like this book because the wasps are very naughty and at the end I like the way the birds take away the sandwich. I like it when the vehicles carry the bread to the giant oven.

32. keley says:

Very good and funny ??

I love this book a lot even though I am not to keen on rhyming books

I’m not usually too bothered about rhyming books but the pictures and words and rhymes all meld perfectly in this crazy book. I’m not sure I quite approve of the sentiment (I don’t like to squash a fly!) but I’ve nevertheless sent a copy to my brother-in-law in Sweden who hates wasps (some summers you get lots of wasps in parts of Sweden). He’s tried almost everything to get rid of them, but he’s not tried using a giant jam sandwich, and I think he might just be tempted to give it a go…

35. obates says:

I really like the idea of a huge jam sandwich, it must of been even bigger than I imagine though if it could fit 39,997 wasps inside. Very lucky birds to eat it!

36. nweatherald says:

This book is really funny and i would read it 50 more times.

37. fthomas says:

I LOVE THIS BOOK AND I REALLY LIKE THE CREATIVE IDEAS.

38. fwaters says:

The giant jam sandwich is really funny book an weird and good i recommend it

39. kkane says:

This book was a great book to read in my spare time.I loved it.

40. Otto Meyric Rothstein says:

I liked this book because it’s quite strange because they make a…

41. stsugitavieira says:

I really like the the book because the villagers had revenge on the 39,997 wasps! BUT GOD KNOWS HOW!

42. fkirkwood says:

Do you think few wasps are bad? well check this out…!

43. fkirkwood says:

This book is so funny you’ll shake your boots with laughter!

This book was really funny. Just one thing: If you combined London and New York and called it Itching Down, we probably wouldn’t have enough bread in the whole metropolis to make a sandwich that big. I suppose this is fiction, but still…

45. nhyderkhan says:

This book about a swarm of wasps invade itching down and the townsfolk make a plan to trap them using a jam sandwich

46. ebarrett says:

This is a book about a very big sandwich and I loved it. It is all about 4000 bees and the people trap them in a giant jam sandwich

This is one of the strangest books I’ve ever read. I don’t think 40,000 wasps would fit into a sandwich – although I suppose it is a giant jam sandwich, but still…

48. kjohnsonagley says:

When a swarm of 40000 bees fuel in to town, the villagers fight back by squashing them all in a GIANT JAM SANDWICH!!

49. cquraishinash says:

When I was like, 2, my parents read this to me.I really love this book and the illustrations are great.It’s about a town called Itching Down, which is usually a happy place but then wasps attack. The only way to get rid of them is to trap them in a giant jam sandwich! I love this book more than a wasp loves jam!