The Hunger Games
Suzanne Collins

Fantasy and science fiction

Katniss Everdeen is forced to take part in a live show, the Hunger Games, for the amusement of the capitol, where there is only one rule: kill or be killed.

Noah Sampson, 5CM (2016)

4.8

65 comments on “The Hunger Games

1. gwilsonlitt says:

The Hunger games is an amazing book to read because it has everything gore,death,sadness and even romance. It’s great.

2. llincoln says:

I love this book so much I read it all in one day and have read all of the trilogy three times (it is so good).It is really thrilling and when I read it it really made my heart beat when I read it. It is really tense and that is why it is my favourite book ever.This dystopian novel is also really sad because 24 kids enter but only one can survive.In the hunger games there is only one rule:kill or be killed.

3. llincoln says:

The hunger games is my favourite book ever!It is really thrilling and when I read it it really made my heart beat . It is so tense. It is set in the city of Panem and is a dystopian novel. I loved this book so much I read it all in one day and have read all of the trilogy three times(it’s so good).

4. emcinerney says:

it is one of favourite books because it has so much drama and a lot of killing and kept me interested

Extremely violent. Frightening, unpleasant, immoral future societies (sometimes called ‘dystopian’), like the nation of Panem where The Hunger Games is set, have long been explored in fantasy and science fiction writing. What makes The Hunger Games interesting to me is the focus on Reality TV and the power of television. The Hunger Games is a reality TV show based on a voyeuristic thrill of watching people fight and kill each other. It is very extreme and people are not killed on actual reality TV shows – but there are plenty of similarities. Reading The Hunger Games also reminds me of the televising of the war the US and Britain fought against Iraq in 2003. Huge-scale, visually spectacular bombing of Iraqi cities was broadcast live and there was lots of excited reporting from journalists at the time who were travelling with the US and British armed forces and filming it. They said the bombing was designed to cause “shock and awe.” There are still plenty of videos you can watch on youtube.

6. Otto Meyric Rothstein says:

I liked this book however I felt sad when rue died because she was only 12. I found the names in this book a bit strange because all the girl names are types of flowers. Once I read this book I stopped reading the Percy Jackson series just to read the next two books in this series.

7. smohamed says:

I enjoyed this book it was very interesting and I think this is better than the movie. I rate this book 5 stars. My favourite character is Katniss Everdeen. So I do recommend this book ?

8. faboulian says:

Katniss Everdeen is forced to take part in a show called the hunger games were there is only one rule kill or be killed. A fantastic book full of action blood and adventure.

9. astrigo says:

This book is amazing and I think it is very sweet how katnis takes over from her sister.

10. ewhitelaw says:

Set in a horrible future world, where every year boys and girls from each district are picked to enter the the Hunger Games where the only rule is kill or be killed. The whole point is to amuse the people from Capitol in a TV show. The book is exciting but violent. The book is a warning about the worse aspects of society and how the rich can dominate the poor.

11. Dshawn Richards says:

I really liked this because of the suspense and I recommend you get this book.

I really enjoyed reading this book as it was really exciting although it was a bit gruesome

I love this book and all of the things katniss has to do in order to live. Kill or be killed is a main part of this book sadly. The hunger games is a vicious competition. Will she get out of it alive. Does she have the guts to survive ore will she die up against the scariest competitors. You will have to read it to find out

14. gbrown2 says:

The hungry games is great book because it has lots of great ideas in this book

15. tcarpenter says:

Read this!!!!!

16. iamosu says:

i love this book it is very gory and wouldnt be advised for children under 9 and the movie has some very gory scenes and you have to be 12 or over to watch it

17. mbrooks says:

Either watch your sister die on the tv or risk your life for something that you may not come back from , I really like this book! 🙂

18. jlaidler says:

This book is SO good. Its so good its even a film now. If you’re under nine it might be unsuitable but for 10 year olds and over its amazing! I 100% recommend it. 🙂

19. rflynn says:

i realy love this book its even betterthen the movie

20. rrostam3 says:

This book is about people traveling stuff it is a fantastic book. everyone is allowed to read it I recommend it and I like it so much.

21. rrostam3 says:

22. sheckscher says:

There is only one rule in the hunger games: kill or be killed. This book is breathtaking and has a very gripping story.

I think the hunger games is a really energetic book, dramatic and futuristic

24. famin says:

the Hunger Games is a game about how we should just stop fighting not that we want but just so everyone can end war between everyone and so it can make a better place of the world.

25. jewan says:

its stressing its depressing and you’re all alone

26. jewan says:

the hunger games is a really hard game and i could’nt imagine how it must feel

27. cwitchell says:

this is a book about slaughter……i love it

28. jmoigboi says:

i like the tension because she nearly died

29. myislam says:

I really liked the hunger game it was a awesome book and I also liked the movie I watched all the hunger games and I really enjoyed it

30. tmortensen says:

This novel is an action packed thriller filled with blood sadness and hatred. One girl one boy from each District fight to survive. Only one person can survive. Who will it be…

The hunger games is a brilliant book.It describes what’s happening in the story so vividly that you think your there.There are sad happy and exciting moments throughout the series and You can really imagine how katniss feels from the moment she steps into the arena right until the end.Katniss is a great fictional roll model to young adults as she is fierce and says what she thinks is right.It is an easy book to follow and will make you want to read the whole series in one sitting.

32. fives says:

This book is incredible because it is action pact and makes you feel lucky that your not in Katniss position.

33. kjohnsonagley says:

I love this book because it is action everywhere you look . It makes you laugh and makes you cry.

‘May the odds be ever in your favour.’ That isn’t the case for 16-year old Katniss Everdeen. When her sister, Primrose, is picked to take part in the Hunger Games, a fight to the death between 24 tributes, Katniss volunteers to replace her. The only rule is to kill or be killed, but there is more to this book than that…

35. jlaidlaw says:

Great book but the third of the series let the rest down.

36. lgrillorodriguez says:

I loved the Hunger games because it has lots of killing. Catnis everdein is the main charicter of this book

1. jlaidlaw says:

Killing was not the only thing in this book.

37. krussell says:

I rate this book because my sister has read this and really enjoyed the book. It was good.

38. sheckscher says:

When Katniss Everdeen takes her sisters place in the hunger games her life is transformed into a violent wreck and she must kill to survive

39. rrazabenfahem says:

I like this book. It is fascinating to read.

40. jtoomeyoneill says:

This is a fast paced, gory novel about a girl who volunteered to take place for her sister in the violent, the deadly Hunger Games!

I loved this book because it is very tense story and everything that lies ahead is always a surprise!

41. nbentham says:

The Hunger Games is a dramatic full of action book where the only rule is kill or be killed! It is one of the best books I have read!

42. lfrancis says:

5 star rating amazing is what this book is. A girl is forced to play a terrible game in which people die.

If you like the Hunger Games films then you should definitely read this book.

44. fwaters says:

The Hunger Games is a really good book. It’s got action, adventure, a tiny bit of violence and lots more. It’s one of the best books I have read.

45. nsampson says:

The Hunger Games is a really good book following the life of Katniss Everdeen and district 12. Every year the Capitol (the bad guys) make a boy and a girl from every district fight to the death in an arena. A total page turner that gets you of your chair every minute. Will Katniss die or will she win?

46. cburt says:

Katniss Everdeen (age 16) is picked to take part in the Hunger Games, a show where you are placed in an arena with 23 other tributes and all you have to do is kill.

47. esampson says:

The Hunger Games is fight to the death of 24 tributes and only 1 comes out alive

48. esampson says:

Katniss Everdeen is forced to take place in a live show called the Hunger Games for the amusement of the Capitol where there is only 1 rule kill or be killed.

49. lsimpeasante2 says:

Katniss was born in district 12. All the districts are ruled by the Capitol. Each year the Capitol hosts a game called the hunger games where 24 children (2 from each district) battle to the death. Who will win? The motto: Kill or be killed.

50. swood says:

Katniss and 23 other tributes have to take part in a game with only one rule: kill or be killed.